Sunday, February 25, 2007

Naga chulalongkorni


Well, this may look like your average serpentine dragon, but actually it is a Naga, literally huge serpent. Nagas were said to be royal guardians in local mythology, Siamese as well as Malay. (For those who are confused: Siam is the old name for Thailand, a country located just north of Malaysia) I got the inspiration from a photo of the Siamese Royal Barge (one of a few). The specimen was actually seven-headed, but I think that the other 6 identical heads will just fill the page and blot out details. I'll work on a full version later.



Comments for this picture:

DateNameComment
Oct 4 2000 Elfwood artist: Troy L. Megli, (Click here to visit!)I'm VERY impressed with this!!! (my usual here) You have to do this one in color! With the other 6 heads this one would be quite formidable!

The other 6? Well, I gotta put in extra time on this one. Thanks anyway!
Oct 5 2000 Elfwood artist: Joellena S. 'azul' Asher, (Click here to visit!)i'm with troy on this one, very impressive. six more of these eh? you have your work cut out for you. one heck of a guardian though. very well done.

Thanks a lot. Let's see what I can do...
Nov 18 2000 MariaHi there, greetings from Maria from Thailand! This creature is called the Payanag in Thailand. The seven headed one was *I forgot the name* came up to shelter Buddah from the rain one day. That's how I remember it.
Nov 27 2000 Elfwood artist: Maria Martins, (Click here to visit!)Hey Alang! I hope you come in and check your page because somehow, my Internet's going real slow today and I can't teply to you :P! Anyway, I got another piece of information on the Payang (by the way, I don't mind you using the name), my mom told me that when thse payanags live in their underwater homes, they actually are humans :O! But when they come up to the surface, they turn back into Payanags! I was thinking it'll be cool if you do a drawing of the human payanag! Oh, by the way I became an elfwood artist and my work sucks compared to yours :P. Check it out anyway though.


Thanks, Maria, and welcome to the Woods. My gratitude on the info on the Payanag. I'll try to make something up of what they look like in human form. See ya!
Dec 19 2000 awriterEep! Scary! Hmm...I wanna do research on this fellow now...he looks interesting. (He also reminds me of the evil sandworm monster things that are in a book of mine...) Definately try to do a full version!! I bet it would turn out great!
Apr 7 2001 Elfwood artist: John Teall, (Click here to visit!)if the book 'awriter' is talking about happens to be dune (or any of frank herbert's dune series) the sandworms arn't 'evil' - just dangerous - and also the source of 'spice' - the drug that makes navigating the spaceways possible in the context of that series of stories - as for naga's - arn't they also somewhere in hindu mythology - perhaps it was somewhere in india or nepal where that one was supposed to have sheltered budha from the monsoon - i don't know - mostly guessing but i seem to remember having read something somewhere other then just in the context of the usual fantasy/rpg ones ... ~;)
Jan 9 2003 Elfwood artist: Megaera Callisto Lorenz What a cool creature! Looks like a dilophisaurus with an attitude. I can't wait to see it with all of its heads.
Apr 4 2003 Chael Unnell Nagas came from ancient India (It means snake(cobra) in both Sanskrit and Hindi), and in Hindu mythology nagas are represented as half human half snake, sorta like how a mermaid is put together. But I've read that other cultures sometimes change their appearance, such as this pic maybe?

I think you did a great job, and it sure looks fearsome.
Apr 16 2004 Artemis This is to relay with maria martins, about how these thing can turn human, well the same thing happens with dragons and crows ,sept dragons died out and crows hate walking like "Two leggers".

No comments: